Rants, Raves, Interesting Science & Awful Puns
A Few Scientific Mysteries To Ponder On
At a time when younger people are increasingly criticized for tuning
out and failing to show a healthy interest in things that matter, it's
refreshing to see an active movement that appreciates and promotes the
progressive tide that will mean a doubt-free future of unity and
greater security for all of us. Students have always been among the
sharpest readers of political reality.
Students for an Orwellian Society (SOS) is a nationwide student
group. Although SOS has always been a nationwide student group, there
is evidence to suggest that it first appeared at Columbia University.
The mission of SOS is to promote the vision of a society based upon the
principles of Ingsoc, first articulated by George Orwell in his
prophetic novel, 1984.
They claim to have achieved considerable success in convincing numerous
political figures and agencies to help forward their aims. Some
examples (original sources linked from the URL given below):
War is Peace
- Congressman seeks return of military draft as a way of reducing war.
- Official pronouncement that in order to fight terrorism, we must cause it.
Freedom is Slavery
- Adoption of "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast," an important first step toward the introduction of "Victory Gin"
- Recognition of potential terrorists by button badges and T-shirts
Ignorance is Strength
- Attainment of a dissent-free society. Those disagreeing with official policy are merely confused.
- Reading articles critical of the Administration recognized as thoughtcrime.
Full list and further information on SOS at studentsfororwell.org